Search This Blog

Monday, August 17, 2009

TLC August 5th and August 13th 2009

I have decided to make a note of all my TLC sessions or atleast most of them, not for my reading pleasure but to remember the names of all the dogs that I spend time with at the shelter...and I must say I am getting good at this...I can remember and identify the dogs that I have worked with.

On a Happy Note.....two of the Dogs that I took out on my previous sessions have been adopted...hurray!!!!!.....Yes, Big Boy has been adopted, did not think this would happen as he is already very old....Well so much for going steady with him:(.now am on a quest to find another date..he he...atleast he has a home now...lucky boy. The other lucky one is Crocs a Chihuahua that I will be talking about in my next few lines.

On Wednesday the Aug 5th I went TLCing with another Volunteer named Stacey. I took out Luther that day and she took out Jupiter. Luther is a German Shorthaired Pointer( I have also made it a point to come back and read a little about the Dog I take out). Must say he is a very handsome dog...he has beautiful eyes.Luther is a friendly,affectionate dog , likes to chase anything that moves.The session went well with him and Jupiter both kennelmates getting to share the playground as well....not sure if luther was happy with this as he kept pushing the overly excited Jupiter away. The next Dog I took out was Crocs, A Chihuahua, though small in size, crocs is a high energy dog.When I put Crocs back in his Kennel, someone came asking for him, May be the same person took him home.

August 13th, did not turn out the way I wanted it too. I lured Sudhi away from his work into joining me for the TLC session, but we were late and the front doors were closed , which meant we could come out but not get in. Sudhi could not use the big playground to take his Yellow dogs, so he landed up helping me take a dog out, which I should say on that day was like a blessing as I let 2 dogs escape from their Kennel. This is what I was afraid of from day one and it happened....I played smart by entering the Kennel without trying to separate the dogs...I thought I was in successfully when I realised the latch of the kennel was pulling my shirt, to release my shirt I pushed open the door a wee bit wide and hence landed up keeping the door open too long. Before I knew it Luther's Kennel mate was out, I was so shocked that I forgot that there was another dog (Luther) in the Kennel too which could escape and so it happened, Next Luther wandered off. I unsuccessfully tried to hold on to him.While I was all worked up and tensed, Sudhi was calm and waiting to see what the dogs do next..(or may be he was having a good time seeing my reaction)..later with the help of the collar in my hand I dragged Luther back and Sudhi caught hold of his kennel mate. In the process I broke a finger nail and started bleeding pretty badly, But I was so occupied in getting the dogs back that I did not realise it until I saw the blood.I am really upset with what happened, but I learnt my lesson, try to separate the dogs before you open the door. Thanks Sudhi for saving the day ,could not have put the dogs back into their kennel on my own.I feel sorry as Sudhi always lands up helping me instead of spending some time with his yellow dogs.

3 comments:

  1. who let the dogs out .. woof woof

    ReplyDelete
  2. he he...it was fun really!

    We were lucky that the area was enclosed, otherwise we would have spent the rest of the night running behind those dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are having fun at my cost:(....I am so scared to go TLCing now...though I am thinking of going tom morning.

    Everything that could go wrong went wrong that day...I am surprised we did not get locked inside the shelter,Thankgod for that ofcourse, I was making a backup plan for that too.

    ReplyDelete